Saturday, December 16, 2006

Is it windy over there ?

















( BTW ...these are three DIFFERENT trees, in different locations on my route ! )


I've seen it windy here, but never like this. I am assuming it's just Georgie's " mojo-juju " acting up again. ( Don't ever let her tell you she's anything but a powerful, super-hero-like chick. It's always the mild-mannered ones who pack a big punch ! ) Actually, I'm loving this crazy weather. And it's not even winter yet !

The post office has been pitch black the past two days. I work in a dungeon. Really. No windows, so no natural light. With the power out, we tried to case ( sort ) our mail by the light of headlamps ( small ones ) that attached to caps on our heads, or to bands that wrapped across our foreheads. Crazy, I tell ya ! The P.O expected us to be there and work with no lights or heat, but provided us NOTHING to get the job done. The headlamps were things we had brought in ourselves, as were the dozen or so flashlights. What a classy place, that P.O !

My route looked like a war zone in places. Littered streets, with branches, debris, fallen trees and power lines. A bit surreal in places. No one on my route was hurt, and by tonight I am assuming that most folks have their power back on.

At our house we never lost power. We have had the kids over since Friday AM and tonight we had ourselves, the kids, my folks, my sister and her partner and my aunt and uncle. ( Plus two extra dogs ) Kelly LIVES for nights like this. She was completely prepared with food( buttermilk fried chicken, stuffing, coffeecake ), coffee, tea and warm comfort. She's a great hostess and I'm sure everyone was happy to get warm and fed ! I'm lucky. She's a good person. No, a great person ;)

We missed a show on Thursday night because of the storm. We were going to see Kevin Kling. Google him. He's a fascinating character and a hilarious, engaging storyteller. The Theater refunded our tickets immediately. Bravo to the Seattle Rep !

Sometime in the next few days I have a LOT of presents to wrap. Back-wrenching amounts. Probably a hundred gifts ( since we wrap stocking stuffers ). I shopped smarter this year, but it still strikes me as too much.

This is a hard time of year for me. Work is busy, days are shorter, and my drive seems longer. I have a hard time staying connected to people, though I try like hell not to lose touch. Other people are blogging about this too. Connecting. It's part art, part science, part patience and a very specific formula that balances each of these. It's like juggling plates.

Really. Glass plates.

Juggling.

I am already daydreaming about my first vacation week next year : Paint the bathroom, do art, take a drive or two, and stack the plates for awhile .... Ahhhhh .... doesn't that sound great ...

No comments: