Thursday, July 28, 2005

1788

We have returned to the Emerald City ( well, Auburn ) .

What a whirlwind trip it was to Wisconsin. I was worried about flying into Chicago and then driving, but as it turned out it was rather nice. Just two hours from airport to hotel. We thought we'd go " on the cheap " and just book a room for six nights at Motel 6. What a mistake that was ! After we checked in I wouldn't even let Kelly unpack ! I knew I couldn't stay. Two guys leering at us over the railing, drinking their cans of beer as we drug our things to the room. Bottom floor, drapes that wouldn't hardly close all the way, a " prickly water " shower, a corroded ice maker in the vending area ( that didn't work anyway ) , no extra towels, no extra pillows ... I know I probably sound like a spoiled brat. It felt unsafe and it had no sense of comfort whatsoever. This is our summer vacation for pete's sake !

So, we moved. To the Hampton Inn. Beautiful place. Indoor huge pool, great free breakfast, a USA TODAY sitting at our door every morning, free wireless access, a massager shower head, all the towels and pillows we could want ! Mostly, a third floor room and five good nights of sleep !

Wisconsin was beautiful ! Kelly's family has built a HUGE log home in a rural part of the state. It is just gorgeous. Everything from the beautiful wood floors, towering ceiling, solid log beams, SIX acres of untouched land and a great tree swing ! ( TWO, actually ! ) Her three nieces are just precious , and her new baby nephew is adorable. We spent a lot of time getting to know each other and had some wonderful days out in the world. Hit the Waukesha County Fair, an organic farm, Cool Waters water park, and of course a day of swimming in our indoor pool when it was a sweltering 98* outside.

Sometimes I think I could easily live in the country. No traffic, friendly folks and a real sense of being away from the hustle and bustle. But in reality, I'd miss my world. I'd miss the movement. As much as I hate all the commuting, I'd miss the sense of community I have being a part of a city. There's something appealing about the " other side " but I think I'm an urbanite in my bones, and I will continue to appreciate the opportunities I have to " get away from it all " .

I'm still off for a few more days. I caught a nasty cold on our last day there and had a rather miserable day of travel yesterday, but I am ready to get back into the real world today. There is lawn to be mowed, mail to be picked up, and unpacking and settling back in to do.

There's no place like Home *

No comments: