Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Bush, INC ( formerly the United States of America )

Every day when I wake up, I shower, grab my coffee and turn on the local TV station for weather and traffic. It seems every day now I hear of more corruption, more blurred lines, more extremism. Am I crazy ? Am I the only one paying attention ? I thought it was bad when CBS was censored by THE ADMINISTRATION over the Bush National Guard story. What evil do THE POWERFUL wield that makes journalists stop dead in their tracks, and then backtrack ? What did THE ADMINISTRATION threaten THIS time ( Newsweek ) ?? The damage is done. People don't care about retractions. People are seeking and responding to the truth. This country no longer garners the respect of other nations or people. This country is an embarrassment. Plain and simple. It is like the big bully. We try to teach young people the values that this country was built on. Try to teach them about tolerance and justice and decency. And everyday it gets harder. Harder to find examples of those things in the news. Instead, we spend our time trying to explain away torture, unjust wars and desecration of the Qu'ran. Try to explain why THE ADMINISTRATION is involved in the most personal family decisions ( Terri Schiavo ). Explain why THE ADMINISTRATION is trying to put Gay Americans in the same class as terrorists and why THEY are attempting to thumb their noses at the rules of law that have been the bedrock of our legislative system for decades. It sickens me.

So what can I do ? Complain ? Give up ? Ignore it all ?

I'll write. I resolve to write letters to anyone who will listen. From my local state representatives, to my US Senators, to THE ADMINISTRATION. They may not listen, but I can't just DO NOTHING. I have to find and exercise my voice. I need to be sure I share what I can about the good in this world with the young people in my life. I need to keep the hope alive. For their sake . And for my own sanity.

No comments: